Not many people dream of having a career in sales. Let’s be real here: sales was probably not your first choice. For many of you, although afraid to admit, sales wasn’t even your second, third or fourth choice.
Some of you reading this are thinking to yourself, “Mark youâ€™re smoking something funny.” Calm down. Although I used to live in Oregon, I haven’t smoked anything. You see, sales was not my first or second choice. Frankly, I first wanted to be a radio DJ but assuming that that wouldn’t go well for me, I decided to go into advertising.
Sales is what I fell into. I’m glad I did, though. My professional journey in sales began decades ago. With each passing year, I become more and more enamored with the profession. Here are the 10 reasons why I love sales:
1. Sales is about helping people. It’s an occupation where you spend your time helping those around you.
2. Sales is about helping people see and achieve what they didnâ€™t think was possible. It about helping, but it’s more than that. As a salesperson, you must help people see and achieve what they didn’t think was possible.
3. Sales is about continuous learning. Not a day goes by where I don’t learn something new. When you’re in sales, school is always in session. You could say that that analogy applies to everyone, but when you have the opportunity to sell to many different people and entities, the learning just comes naturally.
4. Sales is about the unexpected. I’ll be the first to admit that I donâ€™t always appreciate the unexpected but over the years, Iâ€™ve learned to embrace and expect it. When the unexpected becomes the expected, it is amazing how that can change a personâ€™s outlook on life. Iâ€™ve learned to roll with things and understand what I can impact and what I cannot.
5. Sales is about unlimited opportunities. There are no limits in sales; it is a profession that offers an unlimited number of opportunities. The only limits in sales are self-imposed.
6. Sales is about being an optimist. I viewed myself as an optimist long before I got into sales, but being rejected as often as you do in this profession, you become an even bigger optimist. Call me a sick child for thinking that way. Iâ€™ve been called far worse, but it is amazing what happens when you view everything optimistically.
7. Sales creates relationships. Throughout my sales journey, I have been able to meet so many different people from all walks of life, each with their own, unique story. The long-term relationships that have developed because of them has been a huge benefit. This is one I never would have seen coming or realized how impactful it is until now.
8. Sales is about overcoming obstacles. I am thankful that sales is not for the timid or the weak. The issues Iâ€™ve had to deal over the years and what Iâ€™ve learned from each one has without a doubt made me a better person. I have no doubt that my project management / process development skills are much better today than they were years ago. The pressure of sales has helped me refine those skills.
9. Sales offers unlimited rewards. Iâ€™ve been able to do and achieve far more than I ever would thanks to being in sales. From Super Bowls to remote islands in the Philippines to speaking in front of thousands, sales has provided me with amazing rewards.
10. Sales provides personal satisfaction. I cannot imagine spending numerous years in sales just sitting behind a desk punching numbers or anything else. The personal satisfaction Iâ€™ve gained has shaped my outlook on life and how I view everything.
Sales is not a solo activity; sales is a team sport. So, these are my 10 reasons why I love sales. I trust that they are yours too.
Hey, do yourself a favor – grab my book, High-Profit Selling, if you haven’t read it yet. Amazon has it on sale forÂ $2.99 all through April, so now is the time to get yours! Grab a copy, read it and let me know what you think by leaving me a review on Amazon. Thanks!
Copyright 2019, Mark Hunter â€śThe Sales Hunter.â€ť Sales Motivation Blog. Mark Hunter is the author of High-Profit Prospecting: Powerful Strategies to Find the Best Leads and Drive Breakthrough Sales Results