Congratulations on making your quota for this quarter! It’s the 4th consecutive quarter you’ve made your number and you are feeling good. Instead of only seeing yourself as a salesperson, you’re now seeing yourself as a sales leader. You’ve arrived, but hold on… have you arrived? It’s easy to consider yourself a sales leader when you’re making your numbers, but are you really a sales leader? Below are 12 questions you need to ask yourself to determine if you’re a sales leader or merely a salesperson:
1. Do your employees exhibit a level of confidence in you that makes them share confidential information?
2. Do customers ask you questions that go beyond what you sell, because they value your input and see you has having keen insights?
3. When problems arise, do you take ownership of the account or do you pass the blame?
4. Would customers and others you work with say that you demonstrate integrity in everything you do?
5. How often do you educate your customer and help them see things that they would not have seen otherwise?
6. Are you actively building relationships with multiple people at every account / customer you work with?
7. Within your company, is your view sought out and seen as valuable?
8. Do you take an active role in mentoring and helping other salespeople both inside and outside of your company?
9. Do you own your sales quotas and business plans? Do you see them as merely a starting point of what you’ll achieve?
10. How much time do you spend developing your own skillset to become an even better sales leader?
11. Do you own your day and have clear goals for what you intend to accomplish, or do you allow others to control it?
12. Do you have a clear set of multi-year goals to help you grow both professionally and personally?
How did you do answering those questions? Which ones do you feel like you need to work on to develop a better answer? Most likely, you need to develop a plan, or at least, that’s what sales leaders do. A sales leader is never content, because they are always on mission to improve themselves and those around them.
Copyright 2019, Mark Hunter “The Sales Hunter.” Sales Motivation Blog. Mark Hunter is the author of High-Profit Prospecting: Powerful Strategies to Find the Best Leads and Drive Breakthrough Sales Results